Thursday, April 2, 2009

flight adventures

What a morning. My flight to the hopefully-new-post-doc-city was at 7 am and that's really early for me. I woke up around 5.45 and my friend was downstairs to pick me up around 6.10 am. We got to the airport around 6.30. Now, the original plan was to just bring a carry-on with me but seeing how I couldn't fit a single thing in there, I decided to check-in a bag. So, I'm at the self-check-in counter trying to check-in my bag but the stupid machine (which is not true, because that thing was smarter than my early morning self) wouldn't let me. I asked the person behind the counter if he could help me and he asked me when my flight was. When I said 7am, he said I was too late and I had to change my flight. Fuck. I was a little too laid back in terms of arriving to the airport. I mean the airport was practically empty so I blamed the rain that hold us back from speeding on the way. I paid extra $60 on top of the $15 check-in fee to change my flight. I was mad.

On top of this, when I walked to the gate the machine didn't recognize me. The guy at the gate asked me if I was trying to leave the country!!! (not funny dude) I was just laughing out of nervousness at that point. Then all of a sudden, like the prince charming in snow white, came the guy behind the counter who helped me with getting fucked, oh I mean, getting charged extra moneys. He was holding couple of $20 bills in his hand. It took me a while to figure out what was going on but I didn't really need to because he explained that my original flight was delayed and he had put me back on it with my checked-in bag. I wanted to hug him right there (he was cute too) but of course didn't (i'm classy that way). So, I made it to my original flight, proving that one does not have to at the airport 2 hours before one's flight. Half an hour is plenty of time!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dude! What were you thinking? This is an important trip and you were late to the airport?? Hope the presentation went well.